R-Urban

Wick Curiosity Shop

The Collection

Bergers Paint

What:

Company

When:

1960

Where:

Hackney Wick

Who:

Founded in 1780 by Lewis Berger, for 150 years this paint factory was a major part of the landscape of Hackney Wick/Homerton experimenting with new colours and pigments which involved writing paint ‘recipe books.’ During the second world war their chemists had to be particularly ingenious and paint was in high demand for rust proofing ships and for camoflaging military equipment. Berger also produced ‘gas detector’ paint which would turn from yellow/green to bright red if exposed to gas. Many workers claimed that it made them ill working there and it closed in 1960.
Information taken from an article by Sian Mogridge, Archivist www.hackney.gov.uk/ca-archives