The 59 Club started originally as a youth club at the Eton Mission in Hackney Wick in 1959 and was led by the Reverend John Oakes. Later on, Father William Shergold (also a motorcyclist) decided to hold a church service for motorcyclists in 1962. He went to The Ace Cafe on the North Circular to hand out leaflets about this service and had an immense reaction. The church was full of 'Rockers'. Even some of their 'bikes were brought into the church to be blessed.A 'bike section was added to the youth club and was so popular that it overtook the club and premises. Hence The 59 Club was born.